Formula 3 Belgium Grand Prix Predictions 2020

With the end of the Formula 3 season in sight, we head to Spa for the Belgium Grand Prix. This weekend will be a year since the loss of a bright and talented driver and we race with heavy hearts as we hold Antoine Hubert close to us. The weekend starts with qualifying on the 29th August, the Feature Race on the 30th August and the Sprint Race on the 31st August. If you’re looking to keep up to date with all of the racing this weekend, your schedule is as followed: Friday will see Practice at 9:35 am until 10:20 am and Qualifying at 2:05 pm until 2:35 pm, Saturday will see the Feature Race at 9:25 am until 10:05 am and Sunday will see the Sprint Race at 8:45 am until 9:25 am. All times are local track times.

Like every weekend, we sat down and discussed our predictions of the weekend ahead, whilst also discussing what you thought as well. Fewtrell has formally left Hitech for the remainder of the season but guarantees a return next season, Schumacher made the move to Carlin from Charouz where Michael Belov will take his place and Andreas Etner will drive in place of Sophia Floersch who will be competing in LMP2 this weekend in France.

He’s looking stronger than ever ahead of this weekend

Alice

With a week out and a small break to refresh, we head into Spa with the potential of something interesting on the table. Sargeant and Piastri are separated by one point with three weekends left to go. Both drivers are going to be on the push to get above the other and have the edge on the championship win. Piastri’s had his bad luck but he’s looking stronger than ever ahead of this weekend. Both drivers will definitely slot themselves onto the podium in one way or another this weekend and I’m excited to see how tight the title gets and which driver sits ahead when we leave Belgium. I personally can see Piastri pushing ahead.

With Hitech losing a driver and bringing in new, they’re definitely doing to be ones to watch this weekend. It’ll be interesting to see how Chovet fits in with the team and if Hitech can bring more than one successful car this weekend. I can see that Lawson will be pushing for podiums again.

Pourchaire and Novalak are all names to look out for this weekend. Each driver has a fire to push themselves further and it’ll be good to see how they do this weekend. Both drivers had mediocre weekends but with a new teammate for Novalak, Schumacher who made the move, he’ll be wanting to prove himself once more. Novalak is the only original Carlin driver who has place on the podium for the team and he’ll want to remind them why he shouldn’t be forgotten about.

Jess

By putting Sargeant as my champion, it’s no doubt that I’m going to put him as one of my finishers, especially as he’s got the Prema car backing him. It’s the same with his two teammates, because Prema are doing what they do best: win. I also want to add Zendeli once again and maybe Peroni.

I’d keep a check on Nannini, who had a majorly good weekend back out in Barcelona to take a podium, but also the ART drivers, because they’ve lost their momentum in the past few weeks, so it would be nice to see them back out where they belong.

With no doubt, Prema are sticking it out ahead of all the teams, like per usual. It’s honestly getting a bit ridiculous to put ART ahead of Trident, but I have faith in them still, because that team is undeniably good and it’s such a shame to see them not near the front where they rightfully belong.

Prema are doing what they do best: win.

THE SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES

This weekend is the first weekend where there are a few differences between Jess and I. We both agree that the Prema boys in Sargeant and Piastri are going to go for wins but Jess also believes in Vesti. I have a lot of faith in Novalak and Pourchaire along with Lawson while Jess has hope in Zendeli and Peroni. Jess also has hope in Nannini.

Audience

As always, we look at how the audience believe the weekend will go ahead. It’s all fun and games listening to what Jess and I think is going to happen but when you listen to a collective of individuals, you really get a real taste at how differently people watch Formula 3. But, as you have probably guessed, Piastri is our driver on top for pole position with 60%. The remaining 40% was split equally between Lawson and Sargeant. This reflected exactly the same for first place with Piastri taking 60% and Lawson and Sargeant taking 20% each. For second place, Sargeant pushed ahead and took 40% while Lawson, Piastri and Beckmann each took 20%. With the final podium, Lawson was the man on top with 60% while Sargeant took 40%. Taking the fastest lap, we saw Pourchaire and Piastri share the top spot with 40% while Lawson takes the final 20%.

Pourchaire is the man of the hour once more with the sprint race as he took 60% of the votes regarding who would win. From there, Smolyar and Sargeant took the remaining 40%. For runner up, Lawson was most popular with 40% while Novalak, Beckmann and Pourchaire took the remaining 60% between them. Third place went on to see Beckmann as the top driver with 40% while Hughes, Peroni and Zendeli took 20% each. Smolyar, Hughes, Sargeant, Piastri and Lawson each took 20% for the fastest lap of the Sunday. It will be interesting to see who makes it out on top.

Peroni, Estner, Chovet, Smolyar and Beckmann each took 20% for the most surprising driver. Estner and Chovet are going to be interesting bets. Both drivers will be racing in their first race of the season with most expecting nothing to come from it. With teams, you guessed it, Prema took 100% of the votes for taking the most points.

Conclusion

Overall, the results are fairly similar across the grid regarding who will be on top and who won’t make the top ten but every weekend is a surprise so it will be interesting to see which driver will take the most points and who will find themselves in a position to do the best.

This will be our final post for the week ahead of race weekend and we’ll be back on Monday for a special tribute to Antoine Hubert. You are missed so dearly and not a day goes by where you and your legacy aren’t remembered. We will race for you, Antoine, this weekend, the weekend after that and every weekend possible.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s